The following is a link to a talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard about the media's influence in our homes. We're considering getting cable and we got internet this year, and I really enjoyed this talk. So, read it if you like.
Talk found here.
Now, I've considered not having cable because there's so much trash. However, I believe that I was raised well to discern between what's appropriate to watch and when to change the channel. We had time limits and family shows that we enjoyed together (The Cosby Show, Ren and Stimpy, Family Ties, Parker Lewis, Life Goes On,--is this bringing back memories anybody?). But obviously the media has continued in a downward spiral and even commercials are offensive. I think we're going to get cable because Eric would really enjoy some Sports Center. Of course, I would enjoy some Project Runway and John and Kate Plus 8 as well! I was hesitant for a couple reasons, including the fact that I know I waste time with the tube if it's available. We're going to have to come up with some guidlines, though. I'm interested in your opinions and ideas for how you regulate the tv in your home or if you choose not to have it. Please let me know =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Remember syncing swatches? Cool.
I don't have a great answer. Neither my husband nor I grew up with TV and we haven't had anything but networks in our married life until now b/c cable comes free through our HOA, but we don't ever watch anything but espn, project runway (love that show!), and a few network shows. Our kids obviously aren't old enough yet to watch anything inappropriate, but we just don't have time anymore to spend much time watching tv, so that's how it works for us. Probably no help, but good luck with figuring it out!
TIVO or a DVR are a great way to get rid of horrible commercials. Even on the main network channels, ABC, CBS, NBC the commercials are starting to get really bad. You can record the shows you want and skip through the commercials. It's pretty expensive, but may be worth the money by preventing your eyes from viewing some pretty bad commercials. Or you could always watch PBS constantly, they don't have offensive commercials, and you don't need a cable box.
Post a Comment