Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mixed Emotions

Before I begin, I must tell my latest "duh!" moment. Tate has a book titled "The Kissing Book" by Ethan Long. It has a button you press and it makes the smooching noise. Now I know why he makes the noise and kisses the mirror! And I thought nothing we read sticks!

On to the milestone of the day. Tate went to nursery. I was oh so excited to let him play with other kids and toys for the last two hours of church instead of wrestling him in my classes.

That was before today.

We planned on staying with him for today so he would be comfortable. After 5 minutes of watching him play with play-doh, it was obvious that we weren't needed. So we left. I checked on him after an hour and there he was, sitting in his own chair, pulled up to the table, with his little collared shirt and tie, looking way too grown up eating his fruit and PB & J. He smiled at me and carried on. Still not needed.

So I left and went to YW. (Which turned into finding an empty room and bawling like a baby while my baby played happily. Somebody had to bawl today!) By the end of church, I'd pulled it together and went to get him. He was finally happy to see me and gave me a leg hug! The leaders in nursery informed me that a kid tried to push him around, but he held his own.

It was nice to sit and be able to listen without distraction in class, but still horrible that Tate's pretending he doesn't need me lately. Eric and I left for a day to celebrate our anniversary this past Friday and mom and dad came to watch the Tookers. He was fine without us. Whatever. I'll just pretend he was miserably morose and moaned "mama" the whole time.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lydia loved nursery the first few times, but then she decided she didn't want us to leave her for a little while. So, you never know, Tate may change his tune about nursery. Then you may be crying for a different reason :)

The Terrell Family said...

It's so hard to leave those independent little kids. I had the same reaction when I dropped Elena off at preschool the first day. Except I bawled in the Wal-Mart parking lot across the way.

Alison said...

Oh, Jack is the SAME way. He would go with anyone and NEVER seems to miss me. So sad, I understand, but I have found the secret to not feeling that way...BABY NUMBER 2!!! I still have 17 months till I send him to nursery :)

SarahDB said...

I think that is such a cute and funny story!

Congratulations on #2 Pregnant Twin! :) Since this is our first we will take whatever we get...yada yada. HA. I really can't decide what I want though. I love the older brother dynamic so I want a boy, but Daren's family rarely has girls so we would be lucky to get one so I want it to be a girl. Are you going to find out? Congratulations again!!

Unknown said...

I went through this same thing. Then like clock work (according to the nursery leaders) 30 days later Carter freaked out. He was stuck to me like glue for the next 5 months. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without him freaking out. So don't get too upset...yet! It could get worse.

Sara said...

I am so jealous... Sami won't go to nursery and stay there. We have yet to be able to leave her in nursery the entire time. She cries and she is brought to us after awhile... she is impossible... I just pray she gets used to it before #2 comes along!